11.15.2012

The assembly line





Though I experience both joy and frustration with creating my art, everyday can not be so emotional...some days are filled with repetition of the same tasks...
glue
wait
sand
wax
wait
buff...











Years ago, when I was just starting out...and every one of my vintage art cards were made by hand, using all original materials, it was draining to hear the constant din of "what do you have that's new..."  At the time I was wholesaling my cards to shops across the country, through Ted Kennedy Watson's showroom.  Ted offered me some sage advice - don't always think that you need to create a new image...rather, think about how else you could use that image but in a new way.

Ted has long since closed his showroom, concentrating on his retail shops, but he has continued to be a mentor for me...be sure to check out his blog at www.tedkennedywatson.com 


So with the advent of digital printing, I have been using reprints of my original images in several different ways...this week finds me mass producing coasters for my last holiday show...
























It would be nice if everyone wanted a piece of original art...but art is a very discretionary purchase...using my images on coasters, paperweights, message boards and greeting cards makes it an affordable gift...and still gives me an opportunity to share my view of everyday ephemera with others.

I hope to see you in two weeks at my last show of the year...Phinney Winter Festival in Seattle...until then, I need to get back to glueing, sanding & waxing...



worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails