9.04.2012

The bounty of summer

Though there is the hint of fall in the air, summer still has some life left in her...and this was evident at the weekend farmers market...there is a bounty of fruits and veggies, overflowing with colors, textures,
tastes and smells...






































Since the Southern Man and I were going to a BBQ on Labor Day, the market was ideal to pick up just about everything I needed to make salsa...vine ripe tomatoes, yellow peppers, sweet onions and cilantro...





























It was easy to whip up a big bowl of salsa fresca...using a recipe of Mark Bittman's, I put everything in the food processor, gave it a short whirl, added lime juice, sea salt and a dash of ground pepper and it was done...







































By the way...as opposed to the Southern Man's collection of over 300 cookbooks, I have just a few that I refer to now and again...How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman is one of them...He also has written a few others...and the recipe for Salsa Fresca came from The Best Recipes in the World.  Simple, uncomplicated recipes...for novice to experienced chef...I always find what I am looking for in one of his books...

The salsa was a hit at the BBQ...it was a wonderful evening to sit outside with friends and enjoy the remnants of summer sun...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails